Tax Document Checklist

For tax appointments and tax workshops, you need to bring the following: 

  • Your KU ID Card.
  • Your social security card and social security cards for any dependents. 
    • If you have an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) instead of a social security number, please bring a copy of the ITIN notice. 
  • All W-2, 1099, and 1042-S forms or other statements or information reporting income received, including scholarships, grants, and fellowships. 
  • All 1099 forms showing interest, dividends, and capital gains. 
    • Please note: If you have significant investment activity to report, you may be referred to a private preparer. 
  • If you have a 1098-T form showing tuition paid and scholarships or grants received, please bring that with you. 
  • Information showing total amounts paid for course-related books, supplies, and equipment in the reported year. Please calculate total amounts of expenses ahead of time. 
  • Copies of your federal and state income tax returns for the prior year. 
  • Your checkbook or bank account information to verify routing and account numbers for direct deposit of refunds. 
  • If you plan to itemize deductions, you need to bring statements showing your medical expenses, home mortgage interest, gifts to charity, real estate and personal property tax, etc. 
  • If you are an international student or scholar, please bring your passport and your I-20 or DS-2019. 

If you are coming in for an individual tax appointment, additional forms will be provided to you by office staff to complete ahead of your appointment.