Tax Document Checklist
For tax appointments and tax workshops, you need to bring the following:
- Your KU ID Card.
- Your social security card and social security cards for any dependents.
- If you have an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), please bring a copy of the ITIN notice.
- All W-2, 1099, and 1042-S forms or other statements or information reporting income received, including scholarships, grants, and fellowships.
- All 1099 forms showing interest, dividends, and capital gains.
- Please note: If you have significant investment activity to report, you may be referred to a private preparer.
- If you have a 1098-T form showing tuition paid and scholarships or grants received, please bring that with you.
- 1098-T forms can be accessed online. Instructions are posted on our 1098-T Information Page.
- Information showing total amounts paid for course-related books, supplies, and equipment in the reported year. Please calculate total amounts of expenses ahead of time.
- Copies of your federal and state income tax returns for the prior year.
- Your checkbook or bank account information to verify routing and account numbers for direct deposit of refunds.
- If you plan to itemize deductions, you need to bring statements showing your medical expenses, home mortgage interest, gifts to charity, real estate and personal property tax, etc.
- If you are an international student or scholar, please bring your passport and your I-20 or DS-2019.
If you are coming in for an individual tax appointment, additional forms will be provided to you by office staff to complete ahead of your appointment.