International Student Tax Assistance

Legal Services for Students (LSS) offers free income tax assistance and education to international students on nonresident tax issues. Tax returns will be prepared using 2021 income information. There have been changes so please carefully read the options available below. 

The deadline to file your 2021 tax return is Monday, April 18th, 2022. 

PLEASE NOTE: 1042-S forms were mailed by the State of Kansas on March 4, 2022. You cannot file your income tax return without your 1042-S form.  If you are unsure if you are supposed to be receiving a 1042-S, contact

Who Qualifies for LSS Tax Assistance?

  • KU international students (and their dependents)
  • KU international faculty and staff who file as nonresident aliens

Need Additional Help or Advice?

If you need additional help completing your tax returns or have tax questions, please come to one of our tax workshops. Those who have left KU (both Nonresident Aliens and Resident Aliens) will need to contact a tax preparation service in their current area for any additional questions or assistance filing, such as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or tax preparation company.

What You Need to Know: 

1. All international students MUST file tax paperwork if they were in the U.S. for any part of 2021. This is required by U.S. federal law. You must file even if you did not work or earn income in 2021. 

2. If you had no income in 2021, you will use Sprintax to complete form 8843 and mail it by June 15, 2022. Contact LSS at for an access code to prepare for free.  

3. Nonresident dependents living with you in the U.S. must also file tax paperwork. If they had no income, they will use Sprintax to complete form 8843. 

4. You need to gather all your tax documents before starting your tax return. Use the Tax Document Checklist to ensure you have all relevant documents. 

5. Please note that 1042-S forms are distributed by the State of Kansas. Those forms were mailed on March 4, 2022. You cannot prepare your tax return until you have received ALL of your tax forms. If you are a 1042-S recipient, you must wait until you have received that form to prepare your tax return. If you are not sure whether you will be receiving a 1042-S form, contact LSS at



Federal returns should be done using SPRINTAX. 

  • Some people will be able to electronically file the federal tax return using Sprintax. You will need to contact LSS for a link and code to access SPRINTAX.  Some people will have to print and mail tax returns. See the Sprintax blog post for details.



To prepare and submit your Kansas state tax return electronically, you will need to go to the Kansas WebFile site. 

  • You MUST prepare your federal return before you can file your state return.
  • If this is your FIRST year filing U.S. taxes, you must do your Kansas return on paper, and will not be able to use the WebFile program. 



If you have 2021 income from a state other than Kansas, you need to know that state's income tax requirements. you can find that information here.

If, after entering your date into SPRINTAX, the program gives you a message saying that you are a RESIDENT ALIEN, you are one of the few internationals who qualify to file your tax returns like U.S. citizens. Resident Aliens will then use the TaxSlayer software. The TaxSlayer link is available at the tax workshops or by emailing  A few Resident Aliens may be able to claim tax treaty benefits. The tax workshops can assist you with claiming tax treaty benefits while filing as a resident alien. 



Legal Services for Students

Need Directions?

Like Us on Facebook

... and stop by our office for a free game day t-shirt!


Green Office Emblem

Student Senate

Why KU
  • One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
  • 44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
    —U.S. News & World Report
  • Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
  • 5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times