U.S. Resident Tax Assistance

Legal Services for Students (LSS) offers free income tax assistance and education to KU students who are U.S. residents. Tax returns are prepared using 2019 income information. The deadline for filing and paying your 2019 taxes is Wednesday, April 15, 2020. If you file an extension form with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), the deadline for filing the tax returns is October 15, 2020.

Doing Your Own Tax Return

LSS recommends doing your federal and state tax returns on your own using MyFreeTaxes, a free tax filing website for anyone filing a U.S. resident tax return.  NOTE: You do not have to be a KU student to use this free tax software.  It is available for anyone to use. Electronic filing is available through the filing-with-an-extension date, Thursday, October 15, 2020.

Filing should be completely free of charge for all income levels for 2019 for both federal and up to three state returns.  However, there is an additional charge if your return includes Schedules C, D, or E.   

Need Additional Help or Advice?

If you need additional help completing your tax returns or have tax questions, please call for an appointment, 785-864-5665. See the tax checklist for documents you need to bring with you.

Click here to file for free:


Legal Services for Students

Need Directions?

Like Us on Facebook

... and stop by our office for a free game day t-shirt!


Green Office Emblem

Student Senate

Why KU
  • One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
  • 44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
    —U.S. News & World Report
  • Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
  • 5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times