International Student Tax Assistance
Legal Services for Students (LSS) offers free income tax assistance and education to international students on nonresident tax issues. Tax returns are prepared using 2018 income information. There have been changes so please carefully read the options available below. The deadline for filing and paying your 2018 taxes is Monday, April 15, 2019.
Who Qualifies for LSS Tax Assistance?
- KU international students (and their dependents)
- KU international faculty and staff who file as nonresident aliens
Need Additional Help or Advice?
If you need additional help completing your tax returns or have tax questions, please call to make an appointment. 785-864-5665. Those who have left KU (both Nonresident Aliens and Resident Aliens) will need to contact a a tax preparation service in their current area for any additional questions or assistance filing, such as a CPA (Certified Public Accountant) or tax preparation company.
What You Need to Know:
- All international students MUST file tax paperwork. It is required by U.S. federal law. You must file even if you did not work or earn income in 2018. If you had no income in 2018, follow the GLACIER Tax Prep No Income Instructions. This form is due on April 15, 2019.
- Internationals cannot electronically file their federal tax returns using GLACIER Tax Prep. Your federal returns must be printed out and mailed. However, Kansas tax returns can be filed electronically.
- Nonresident dependents living with you in the U.S. must also file tax paperwork.
- Gather all tax documents before starting your tax returns. Use the tax checklist.
Completing Your Tax Return
Federal Tax Return:
- If you are already in the GLACIER tax system at KU, follow the GLACIER instructions and the email you received from email@example.com. Most international students/faculty/staff are in GLACIER and must access GLACIER Tax Prep through the GLACIER system. You do not need an access code.
- If you are NOT already in the GLACIER tax system, you can access the web-based computer program GLACIER Tax Prep to prepare your federal income tax returns. You can get the access code from Legal Services for Students.
- Once you access the program, create an account and establish your username and password. When completed, print the federal return and mail it to the IRS. The state return can then be done through Kansas WebFile.
Kansas State Tax Return:
Go to the Kansas WebFile to electronically file your Kansas tax return. You must prepare your federal return before you can file your state return.
If you have 2018 income from another state, you need to know if that state has income tax requirements. Go to http://www.taxadmin.org/state-tax-forms.
If after entering your data in the GLACIER system and the program gives you a message that you are a RESIDENT ALIEN, you are one of the few internationals who qualify to file your tax returns similar to U.S. citizens. Follow the directions in GLACIER. A few Resident Aliens may be able to claim tax treaty benefits. Those who qualify for treaty benefits will not be able to use the MyFreeTaxes website for U.S. residents and should seek tax advice from Legal Services for Students, or a local tax preparation service for those who have left KU.